Friday, March 14, 2014

Huck Finn chapters 1-5

Welcome back to blogger, long time no see! In Huck Finn, the theme my group and I are analyzing on is coming of age. This topic could be associated with a lot of books, but the theme could be underlying. In chapters 1-5 of Huck Finn I really did not notice any signs of "coming of age" in my perspective. For me, coming of age is the example of making mature decisions to better yourself. I did see that, however when he gave all of his money to Judge Thatcher. When I first read the chapters I would have not suspected him putting that much trust into anybody. In a way, that is coming of age. I am hoping that there will be more examples of this because I think this story has to do a lot with the transition of Huck's mindset. Another example I thought might have actually set Huck back was seeing his father. I think this must have set his mindset of maturity (if he was feeling mature about himself) back a little bit, probably was about 10 steps backwards. But this also could represent the factor in his life that is saying "hey, I am fine without my father" which could also represent coming of age as well.

2 comments:

stw923 said...

Great start Leah! What about Huck's interactions with Jim in these chapters? Do you think that he reflects on his choices? Is that a sign of maturity?

Brandon Gorakhnauth said...

I agree that Huck's hindsight for the money being to the judge to hold was a form of coming of age! It must've take some mature thinking and deduction skills to piece all of that together! Thanks for showing me that, dooderoni! :3